The project has five primary objectives:
- Legalization: Pressing for reform of Guatemala’s telecommunications law.
- Create Content: Produce and distribute quality radio programs that strengthen and sustain indigenous language, music, and civic participation.
- Training Volunteers: Providing community radio volunteers with skills in journalism, lobbying, content creation, radionovela script-writing, and Internet use.
- Building a Network: Create a network of independent, community operated radio stations that can share knowledge and resources with each other.
- Local Capacity: Building local capacity to sustain the project.
Ava Berinstein, Linguistics Advisor on the Guatemalan Radio Project has been granted the 2012-2013 Central America Visiting Scholar award at the David Rockefeller Center of Latin American Studies at Harvard University. Click here to read the entire program description.