Program Associate: Indigenous Rights Radio Initiative
Cultural Survival is a nonprofit organization based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Boulder, Colorado, and in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala. We partner with Indigenous Peoples worldwide to defend their lands, language and cultures. Our Indigenous Rights Radio Initiative:
- Produces and distributes radio content informing listeners about Indigenous Peoples rights to Free, Prior, Informed Consent and other important human rights topics, in English, Spanish, and a number of Indigenous languages.
- Facilitates community to community exchanges between Indigenous communities where the rights to Free, Prior, Informed Consent are being asserted and implemented.
We are looking for an additional team member to help coordinate the production and distribution of radio programs to community radio stations in Guatemala and internationally and to provide logistical support for the exchanges
- Professional proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Professional proficiency in written and spoken Spanish.
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills in both languages
- Ability to work independently and as a team
- Strong organizational skills
- Willingness to travel
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Interest or experience in community radio
- Interest or experience working with Indigenous Peoples
- Familiarity with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Fluency in language(s) additional to English and Spanish
The job is based in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala. Salary commensurate with experience and proportionate to local salaries. Start date September 2, 2013.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Danielle@cs.org